Old Lawrence County Memorial Hospital

  • In 1945, under an amendment to the Federal Hill-Burton Legislation, Lawrence County became eligible for Federal and State aid in the construction of a non-profit county operated hospital.
  • Construction began on March 24, 1949.
  • Lawrence County Memorial Hospital was dedicated on Sunday, July 2, 1950.
  • 61 employees opened the doors and received the first hospital patient on July 5, 1950.
  • One of those original employees, Iva Mae Chism Carter, continues to volunteer at the hospital.