Fire in Oaktown Wednesday caused by Christmas tree

 

 

An Oaktown Family lost their home and all of their possessions following a fire Wednesday afternoon.

Oaktown and Washington Township Firefighters responded to the structure fire at 202 South Wabash shortly after 12 pm Wednesday.

Oaktown Fire Chief Stephen Hobbs says the fire was fully involved by the time they arrived at the home. Hobbs says they managed to prevent the fire from spreading to the attic, but the home itself sustained heat, smoke and water damage.

Hobbs says a Christmas tree inside the home sparked the fire. Hobbs reminds home owners if they have a live Christmas tree in their house to keep it watered frequently to reduce the risk of it catching fire.

The house is owned by Randal Stiles and occupied by Stiles and his family. Stiles is an employee at Vincennes University.

V-U officials are doing their part to by seeking donations of clothing for Stiles and his family.